Thursday, June 12, 2008

2008.1 finally

Didn't want to reinstall the whole system from scratch, I have been trying to upgrade the old packages manually.

Things went fine until yesterday.

After a massive upgrade of more than 100 packages, I rebooted the system and found myself logging into the text mode. X server failed to start. Looking at the logs I found that a video driver module failed to load. Well, that's the worst situation you could get yourself involved in.

So I decided to take the risk and try updating my system using the installation CDs. The estimated time was more than 3 hours, but actually the packages were all upgraded in just an hour. In the end, I got an error claiming that some media.cfg file could not be found, but after rebooting everything went fine.

Finally I got my system up-to-date (hopefully) with minimal efforts. Now it's time to try out all the new features!

No comments: